Legend-Morphy Regency Auction
When: Live auction December 13, 2012 | 6PM PT
Where: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas | 3708 Las Vegas Blvd. South
Las Vegas, NV 89109 |(702) 698-7000
Legend-Morphy $3M Regency Auction at Dec. 13 PCGS Members Only Show
1919-D half dollar PCGS 65 with $200K-$225K estimate tops array of rare coins
Legend-Morphy’s Dec. 13 Regency Auction debut will add a crowning touch to the prestigious PCGS Members Only Coin Show in Las Vegas, with a powerhouse offering of rare coins valued at more than $3 million. The 323-lot event to be held at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas will feature primarily PCGS-graded US coins in an elegantly low-key environment.
“For our initial outing as the official auctioneer for the PCGS Members Only Show, we’ve taken a connoisseur’s approach, which favors quality over quantity,” said Legend-Morphy co-owner Laura Sperber. “We’ve refined the selection for this auction using very strict guidelines, and as a result, each coin that made the final cut is a truly superb example.”
The ultimate prize, a 1919-D half dollar PCGS MS65, boasts surfaces as clean and boldly lustrous as what one might find on a common-date MS66. With very crisply struck details, including the full split on Miss Liberty’s thumb so clear it is visible to the naked eye, this coin is the first 1919-D to appear at auction in six years. In 2006, a comparable coin sold for $172,500. With its combination of unbelievable condition and terrific eye appeal, the example in Legend-Morphy’s Las Vegas sale is expected to command $200,000-$225,000.
Other Dec. 13 auction highlights include:
• 1896 PCGS PR66+ DCAM CAC $10, finest graded at PCGS and NGC for a DCAM, fresh from Far East Eagle Collection, first appearance at auction
• 1913 PCGS PR66 CAC $20 matte proof, intensely original, one of 58 minted, one of three PCGS graded, from Far East Eagle Collection
• 1867 W/R PCGS PR65 cameo CAC 5-cent, knife-sharp details, fewer than 50 struck Estimate: $70,000-$75,000
• 1944-D steel 1-cent PCGS AU55 CAC, one of the rarest of all pennies Estimate: $50,000-$55,000
• 1937-D 3-Leg PCGS MS65+ CAC 5-cent. No PCGS MS65 + CAC has ever sold at auction, superb example, problem-free surfaces, sharp strikes
• 1856 FE PCGS PR65 S-9 CAC Photo Seal 1-cent, super high-end quality with impeccable across-the-board credentials, fewer than 1,000 minted
• 1915 $2.5 PCGS PR65 CAC, all-original matte surfaces, approx. 100 minted Estimate: $30,000-$32,000
• 1910-S PCGS MS66 Bella $20, one of the cleanest known Saints of any date Estimate: $20,000-$22,500
• 1874-CC PCGS AU55 $10, ex Simpson Collection, difficult date to find in any grade, only two examples have been graded higher by PCGS
Dan Morphy, co-owner of Legend-Morphy Rare Coin Auctions, said he expects collectors to respond enthusiastically to the boutique concept he, Laura Sperber and company president Julie Abrams have developed for their Regency Auction premiere.
“Serious collectors and numismatic investors like to take their time when inspecting coins. We will provide an unhurried, no-pressure environment in which to view the stellar selection of coins in our first auction held in conjunction with the PCGS Members Only Coin Show,” Morphy said. “I also think collectors are going to appreciate the extra effort we’ve made to ensure every coin in our December 13 sale is a winner – you won’t find better odds anywhere in Las Vegas.”
The Thursday, Dec. 13 Regency Auction at the PCGS Members Only Show will commence at 6 p.m. Pacific Time in the Gracia #1 Room. Additional bidding methods include absentee, by phone and absentee/live via the Internet through the Legend-Morphy website (www.legendmorphy.com). The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas is located at 3708 Las Vegas Blvd. South, Las Vegas, NV 89109. Preview all coins on Wednesday, Dec. 12 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. and Thursday, Dec. 13 from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., in The Cosmopolitan’s Condesa #3-4 Rooms.
For more information on any lot in the sale, call Julie Abrams at 717-335-3435 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. View the fully illustrated catalog online at www.legendmorphy.com.